Categories of hosting services
A hosting solution pertains to hoarding and/or sharing specific content on a web server run by a web hosting company. There are various categories of hosting services used for different purposes, so let's take a glance at these. In that way, you can conclude what you need, based on whether you'd like to have a blog, mail aliases, or to share files with friends and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution delivered by particular hosts, which permits you to share enormous files. These could be disk images, movies, audio files, archived documents, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its single designation is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either get a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see an inventory of all the files in a directory, but you will be unable to open .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free-of-cost file storage accounts often involve advertisements beside the download links, while a timer compels you to wait for a specific spell of time to observe them. A single file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you buy a paid file hosting package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download right away, and also there is no limitation in regard to the download speed or the file size.
Now, with the assistance of the cPanel hosting retailers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly erroneous interpretation of the real denotation of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting environment would allocate the tasks at hand between separate stacks of servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving different web site hosting services (mail, data storage, statistics, DNS, databases, website hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is only a variety of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: comparable with file hosting; given corporations offer a hosting solution for images exclusively. This hosting variant is appropriate if you want to share a big number of pictures with comrades or partners since the service is mostly free. You will obtain a randomly generated link for every image or album and you can then share this link. As with the file hosting service, .html and .php files are not compatible, so the service cannot be utilized for sites.
- Email hosting: a service dedicated to handling your emails. Some distributors provide site hosting services for web sites, but do not provide an e-mail solution. If you want to create a mail address with your domain name but do not desire to possess a website, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you require. You can set up email address accounts and administer them, but there will be no web solution for the domains. The email hosting service involves incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to a given video, or you can embed the video in your site that is hosted somewhere else. The advantage of availing of this approach in lieu of uploading the video file in a web hosting account is that the video generates a particular amount of central processing unit load, so with several video clips and a few hundred site visitors, you may have difficulty with your web page hosting resources. Embedding the video will enable you to keep as many video files as you desire without bothering about system quotas.
- Web page hosting: this is the service that you need if you would like to own a website. To a certain degree, it comprises all of the abovementioned hosting brands since, along with your websites, you can also host pictures and files, you can set up databases and e-mailbox accounts, upload videos, etc. At Free Hostia, for example, you can examine web hosting and dedicated web hosting packages that enable you to get all of the aforementioned services in a single location. There may be limitations based on the sort of hosting solution that you've picked - a free hosting plan, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Depending on that, your web site hosting package may be better or worse in comparison with the typical e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are created for specific content solely.